Othello Crossword Puzzle Free and Printable
“Othello” is a tragedy written by William Shakespeare in the early 17th century. The play revolves around the central character, Othello, a Moorish general in the Venetian army. Here is a summary of the key elements of the play:
- Setting: The play is primarily set in Venice and Cyprus during the 16th century.
- Othello: A Moorish general in the Venetian army, deeply in love with his wife, Desdemona.
- Desdemona: Othello’s wife, a noblewoman, and daughter of a Venetian senator.
- Iago: Othello’s ensign, the main antagonist of the play, who manipulates others to achieve his own sinister goals.
- Cassio: Othello’s loyal and honorable lieutenant.
- Emilia: Iago’s wife and Desdemona’s maid.
- Roderigo: A foolish and wealthy Venetian who is manipulated by Iago.
- Brabantio: Desdemona’s father and a Venetian senator.
- The play begins with Iago’s manipulation of Roderigo to spark conflict and resentment toward Othello, whom Iago feels has unfairly passed him over for promotion.
- Othello secretly marries Desdemona, which angers her father, Brabantio.
- Othello is sent to Cyprus to defend it against a Turkish invasion, taking Desdemona with him.
- Iago continues to manipulate Othello by insinuating that Desdemona has been unfaithful to him with Cassio.
- Othello becomes consumed by jealousy and suspicion, leading to a tragic downward spiral.
- Iago orchestrates a series of events that lead to Cassio’s demotion and the eventual murder of Desdemona by Othello in a fit of jealousy.
- Emilia exposes Iago’s deceit, leading to Iago’s arrest.
- Othello, consumed by guilt and remorse, takes his own life.
- Iago is captured and sentenced to torture and death for his treacherous actions.
- Jealousy: The destructive power of jealousy is a central theme, as Othello’s jealousy, fueled by Iago’s manipulations, leads to tragedy.
- Race: Othello’s racial background as a Moor and the prejudice he faces play a significant role in the play.
- Deception: Iago’s deceit and manipulation are central to the plot, highlighting the destructive nature of dishonesty.
- Love and Betrayal: The play explores the themes of love and betrayal in various forms, including romantic love, friendship, and loyalty.
“Othello” is a powerful exploration of human emotions and the consequences of manipulation, jealousy, and distrust. It remains one of Shakespeare’s most enduring and studied tragedies.
This Othello crossword puzzle focuses on characters, setting, symbols, and comes with a printable solution page. Teachers, parents, and students can print it out and make copies.